Drive Shack is an entertainment company that combines golf, competition, dining, and fun. Drive Shack plans to open a chain of next-gen golf venues across the United States and internationally. Each Drive Shack venue, beginning with our inaugural facility in Orlando, will feature three stories of hitting suites where friends, family, co-workers or complete strangers can compete in a technologically-enhanced golf game. Those who want to enjoy but not play can spectate from one of Drive Shack’s bar/restaurant areas.
Drive Shack is hoping to become the go-to entertainment outlet for millions of non-golfers and golfers each year. As we develop and grow the Drive Shack brand, we are looking for a dynamic and passionate Controller with substantial internal operational experience in entertainment and/or retail and experience with controls.
The Controller must be a highly motivated, self-starter who is intellectually curious and thrives on diving into complex issues. Drive Shack is looking for an individual with an entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and adapts easily to rapid change.
This position will also work closely with asset management, information technology, and Drive Shack site level management. This position will report directly to the CFO.
The Controller will:
• Have overall responsibility for Drive Shack site accounting operations and SOX compliance. Including creating accounting policies and procedures for the Drive Shack business.
• Integrate accounting policies for existing and future acquisitions.
• Make sound recommendations to enhance efficiency of accounting and reporting functions —as well as supporting computer systems both at corporate and site level, and to ensure quality of data.
• Create, prepare and review monthly and quarterly financial reports and constantly implement improvements to achieve best in class information.
• Provide information to the Tax Director as it relates to all tax matters, including planning, return preparation and compliance.
• Refine, enhance and implement financial reporting tools and systems
• A hands-on leader and manager able to work collaboratively across departments. Strong business/operational process oriented acumen and management skills combined with the ability to keep several initiatives in process simultaneously.
• Create and implement internal audit programs with auditors to ensure Sarbanes-Oxley compliance for the Drive Shack venues.
• Act as liaison with external auditors, and others.
The ideal candidate should have:
• At least 9 years of professional experience, including substantial operational accounting and financial reporting experience in leisure and entertainment, preferably with a public company. This includes experience with IT systems (POS and GL interaction), revenues streams (including F&B), and inventory.
• Experience in establishing accounting and reporting functions for entertainment sites in the US, as well as documenting policies and procedures.
• Experience in Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
• Strong expertise in use of finance computer applications and accounting spreadsheets – particularly Microsoft office products.
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting, as well as an active CPA license.
• Superior analytical, quantitative and communication (both oral and written) skills.
• Proven track record as a creative change agent.
• Must have strong drive and initiative.
• “Big Four” accounting firm coupled with industry experience.
• Real estate and construction development accounting experience a plus, in particular leasing and cost capitalization.
• SEC reporting experience a plus