Drive Shack has an immediate opening for a General Counsel. This is a newly created position. The General Counsel will report to the CEO of Drive Shack.
Drive Shack (the “Company”) is where players of every slice or fade can kick back, kick it up, or kick aside everything they know about the game. It’s where you can play the game your way, with your friends, the kids, or just with a couple of beers. It’s the place where fun is bound to happen, no matter your drive.
Drive Shack is an entertainment company that combines golf, competition, dining, and fun. Those who want to enjoy the facility, but not play, can spectate from one of Drive Shack’s bar and restaurant areas, or spend time in the game lounge. Drive Shack is poised to become the go-to entertainment outlet for golfers and non-golfers alike.
The General Counsel will be responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. He/she will provide senior management with quick and thoughtful advice in complex business transactions.
• Responsible for ensuring that Drive Shack conducts its wide variety of business operations in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
• Researches and advises on a broad range of legal-related issues; including securities law, employment law, intellectual property tax law and property law.
• Maintain a safe working environment at all times; understand and enforce safe work practices in a fair and consistent fashion
• Collaborates with finance and human resources to manage regulatory affairs, corporate governance and risk management initiatives
• Draft routine correspondence or other legal documentation as appropriate
• Provide timely and proactive counsel to Board and Executive Committee and ensure compliance with the laws governing a publicly held company including Securities and Exchange Commission compliance, NYSE compliance, Sarbanes Oxley compliance as well as anti-trust, anti-corruption and competition laws
• Participate in the development and operation of corporate policies, procedures and programs
• In collaboration with corporate audit function, develop and perform internal assessments/auditing strategies to identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability
• Participates in negotiations with outside contractors as requested
• Assist in the preparation and filing of SEC related documents, proxy statements, and other law-filings and documents
• Perform other duties as requested by management
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience between a law firm and in-house counsel with IP, real estate and land use matters
• Experience within a corporate counsel preferred
• Experience in a public traded company and SOX/SEC compliance is required
• Juris Doctorate degree from accredited U.S. law school and up-to-date on license requirements
• Skillful negotiator experienced in drafting commercial agreements
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• A self-starter, highly focused, able to work independently and in a team environment.
• The ability and flexibility to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• Integrity and strong sense of ethics must be integral to this person’s character