Date published: 28-Jul-2014
General Counsel – Healthcare Innovation
Fortress Investment Group’s Private Equity business is forming a group operating in the healthcare services sector. Our founding partners have 20+ years of experience investing in and operating growth companies in careers spanning London, New York and San Francisco, with backgrounds in finance, sales and marketing and business development. We are investing in and building a variety of businesses in the healthcare services space, with a focus on innovative models of care delivery.
We are seeking an experienced, high-energy General Counsel to join our team. Our General Counsel will shape and execute our legal and regulatory strategy in order to enable us to achieve our business goals. The General Counsel will work closely with senior management and will collaborate with lawyers and others in Fortress’s Private Equity business. The attorney would report directly to the Private Equity General Counsel and, ultimately, to the Fortress General Counsel.
This position is a unique opportunity for a lawyer with an entrepreneurial spirit to play a major role in the growth of a variety of start-up businesses in the healthcare sector.
This position will be located in Durham, NC.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience, qualifications and skills:
• 7 or more years of experience at a leading law firm and/or a company in the healthcare space, with a degree from a leading law school
• A background in healthcare law from an operations and regulatory perspective, including a familiarity with HIPAA and patient privacy laws, HITECH, federal and state anti-kickback statutes, corporate practice of medicine rules, and medical malpractice issues
• Experience drafting and negotiating contracts with federal and private payors and doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers
• An understanding of the trends in digital healthcare, including telemedicine, remote monitoring and the transfer and storage of electronic health information
• A familiarity with employment matters and litigation management, and general contract experience, would be helpful
The ideal candidate will have the following personal characteristics:
• Highly driven – excels in environments that reward superb performance and hard work
• Business focused – commercial lawyer who aims to understand business aims and achieves desired results
• A clear communicator – can explain complex legal issues quickly and clearly to non-lawyers
• Curious – ability and desire to learn new areas of the law and business
• A quick thinker and problem solver
• Likeable – ability to work well with an array of personalities and counterparties
• Flexible – ability to deal with meaningful growth in constantly changing internal and external environments. Ability to adapt to change and embrace ambiguity
• Detail oriented
• Able to prioritize multiple tasks
• Has impeccable integrity and a strong personal work ethic